- Dignity. Each member of TGEA will be respected as a person of dignity. Who you are is more important than how you look.
- Privacy. TGEA supports a safe environment for our members and their partners to discover and explore their unique gender expressions.
- Acceptance. We accept the diversity in others as we expect to be accepted ourselves. The sexual orientation or life/transition goals of our members are as varied as our membership. All are welcome within TGEA.
Support. It is expected that every member of TGEA support other members. Each of us has been helped in some way by another, and in turn, we offer our support to others.
- Preferred gender pronoun. If addressed incorrectly by another politely inform them of how you wish to be addressed. Unsure on your part, address them by their name and politely ask how they wish to be addressed.
- Respect everyone’s physical space. Physical contact is a personal matter — this includes hugs. Ask.
- Unwelcome touching, poking, clutching, impolite body contact, assault, impeding or blocking movements;
- Accessing, transmitting, or displaying offensive messages, images, or cartoons;
- Lewd decorum, behavior, speech, or dress that displays and exposes private body parts (genitals, breasts, buttocks, etc.) to others;
- Distribution of personal information or private affairs of others (internal or external to the organization) irrespective of the private justification or the material truth or rumor
- Making or using derogatory comments, epithets, slurs, jokes, or objects; and
- Sexual harassment, including gender-based harassment of a person.
- Unwanted sexual advances, including verbal sexual advances and propositions;
- Making or threatening reprisals after a negative response to sexual advances;
- Leering, making sexual gestures;
- Displaying pornographic or sexually suggestive objects or pictures, cartoons, or posters;
Using inappropriate terms of endearment;
- Verbal abuse of a sexual nature;
- Graphic verbal commentaries about an individual’s body;
- Sexually degrading words used to describe an individual; and
- Suggestive or obscene letters, notes, or invitations.
- The offended party giving direct notice to the offending party that the action is unwanted, unwelcomed and inappropriate is expected to cease and comply immediately;
- Reporting issue to TGEA leadership for action (and actions leadership is expected to perform include: Conduct informal one on one discussion to point out inappropriate behavior and educate about appropriate behavior; Warning or expulsion of the offender: Escalation to the BoD for action.
- Formal BoD proceedings include; warnings, sanctions, disbarment and legal.
TGEA is committed to enabling and fostering a safe supporting environment that is free of physical, psychological, and verbal harassment, or other abusive or disturbing conduct. This applies to the conduct of TGEA members with respect to other members, non-members, significant others, domestic partners, allies, and visitors; and conversely to their treatment of TGEA members.
TGEA believes that inappropriate conduct crates a hostile environment and impacts an individual’s physical or psychological well-being, creating feelings of mistrust and discomfort; undermines the corporate mission and objectives creating an unhealthy environment; and diminishes the organizational image.
At TGEA, its important that people know, believe and trust that they are safe, accepted and respected for who they are as an individual, and supported in their journey of discovery and understanding. Without a safe supporting environment TGEA cannot achieve its mission.
Examples of inappropriate conduct that will not be tolerated include but are not limited to:
Examples of sexual harassment that will not be tolerated include but are not limited to:
Bad behavior “does not” resolves itself. TGEA believes its everyone’s responsibility to enable a warm and welcoming environment and take a stand against bad behavior. Actions that can be taken include:
These values are reinforced within TGEA’s Membership Standards of Behavior.